Tuesday, May 12, 2009

OCD and Me


It's pretty common knowledge that I am a control freak. I am a first born Virgo, and for those who don't understand, this means that I like things done my way- all the time. Aside from the control issues, I think I may be slightly OCD. Not in the dramatic have-to-wash-my-hands-five-times-in-a-row way, or the turn-off-the-lights-three-times-before-leaving-a-room way, but in an orderly way. For instance, I love for things to be neat and tidy. However, I am also a perfectionist, and if things aren't exactly how I want them, then I would rather just leave things a mess. Make sense? Yeah, it doesn't to me either. This may be why I tend to stress out so easily. So to recap, I like things a certain way, my way, but if they aren't just right, I'd rather just leave things as is, which in turn stresses me out and the cycle continues.

Think I'm weird yet? Just wait...I also have a secret hobby that I think may have something to do with my OCD. You see, I like to put together furniture. Not like a carpenter or a woodworker, but like someone who goes to Ikea and buys a cheap end table. I like following the instructions, getting out all of the pieces, and having an end result. In fact, I pretty much like doing anything that has instructions. If I am given a list of things to do, I'm in heaven. I'm not good with being put on the spot or bing spontaneous, but if you need something specific done I'm all for it. You'd think this would make me a great follower, but again, the control issues come up and I'm stuck resenting someone or something for not doing it my way.

So for future reference, here is a list (yay!) of things I like and dislike based on my OCD. Enjoy.

Likes:

Putting together furniture
Paint by numbers
Cross stitch
Multiple choice or fill in the blank tests
Baking or cooking using a recipe

Dislikes:

Freehand drawing
Expressing myself
Being spontaneous
Essay questions
Cooking with no recipe...I call this take out

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey Katherine...How are you? Congrats on your news of pregnancy:)) Super excited for you and Steve! I tried to find a way to follow your blog, but wasn't sure where your button was. Anyhow, I have a blog as well www.myloves-forever.blogspot.com Can't wait to read more...take care hun!!

Bridget said...

Hey Katherine! I found your blog through myspace and I am so addicted to mine! snippetsfrom2284.blogspot.com but I'm working on a new one right now cause I don't like the address I'm currently using! Anyway, I love to read such ramblings and yours are quite entertaining ; ) Bless you for enjoying to put together furniture...I HATE doing that. There's always a screw or some piece missing and I just get mad!