Saturday, May 16, 2009

Well Hello There...

Thursday night I felt the baby kick for the first time. I'm about 16 weeks pregnant right now, but I guess I'm getting better at being able to tell what's an actual baby kick and what is indigestion. I was sitting in my Basic Judaism class when all of a sudden I feel a little bump in my stomach. I wait a few seconds and then feel it again...and again. It's weird, but until I actually feel the baby kick or do some sort of movement, it's kind of hard for me to believe there's something in there. So I guess Thursday was my little shock of reality that "Oh yeah, you ARE still in there!"

I also keep calling the baby a her. This is a very bad thing because I really want a girl. I have two boys and as much as I love them, I just don't know if I would be able to handle having three boys, at least not while I'm sober. People always ask if I'm going to find out if I'm having a girl or a boy. How could I not?? I can't imagine finding out at the birth and feeling the disappointment of not getting what I wanted right then. I know I should just hope for a healthy baby, and I do, but I'd be lying if I said I won't be disappointed if it's another boy. No dresses, no dolls, no playing house, ever. No makeup, no talking about boys, no gossip. I'd be stuck in boy-land forever. And then I'd end up being that bitchy mother-in-law that ends ups hating all of her sons girlfriends because they aren't good enough. This cannot happen. At the very least one of the boys would have to be gay (kidding...sort of :) ).

I've also been getting a lot of advice from people, particularly moms who have three or more kids. Everyone keeps telling me how hard having a third is. Of course, they're telling me now that I'm already pregnant, they didn't decide to share this piece of information BEFORE we decided to have another. I think secretly many parents want other parents to suffer through the same things they had to suffer through, a little passive aggressiveness perhaps? I know that I would certainly do this...granted I'm not the most sympathetic person. We;ll have to see if this third child business really is as bad as everyone says it is. If so, don't be surprised if I casually mention to you that you should have another baby...just passing along the love...

2 comments:

Steve said...

wow...that is so amazing. I can't believe I missed it. Only 4 months left until I'm home...

We'll do just fine with three - don't worry about it too much. You're an amazing mother and wife. I love you!

Rae said...

Okay, I definitely have some different things to say regarding three kids--and I have two boys and a girl. Boy age 6, boy age 4, girl age 2. Approximately. I was also hoping madly for a girl and sobbed with joy at the ultrasound. And I have to tell you quite honestly that having three is easier than I imagined it would be, and more fun than I imagined it would be. I had visions of hellish chaos, but honestly....the chaos is manageable. It really is. Life is crazy and difficult--as it always is--but once you get into the swing of things and get some semblance of a routine going, it can be pretty sweet. And I think it's easier to just sit back and let the time pass slowly with regard to how fast they grow, when you're holding that amazing tiny little third in your arms. In one huge wordy nutshell, I'm excited for you. :)